The Matador Review is an online literature and art quarterly. We publish four issues annually: the Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter issues. We invite all unpublished literature written in the English language (and translations accompanied by the original text) as well as many forms of visual art. All work must be electronically submitted to email@example.com with "Submission: Name, Title" in the subject line (for example, "Submission: Jane Smith, 5 Poems").
Simultaneous submissions are welcomed, however, please let us know if the work is accepted elsewhere. Multiple submissions are welcomed as well, however, please submit only once per genre per issue; the genres are as follows: Fiction, Creative Non-Fiction, Flash Fiction, Poetry, and Visual Art.
For general inquiries, requests and concerns, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are currently accepting work for our fourth issue, the Spring 2017 publication.
The call for submissions will end on February 28.
The Winter 2017 issue was released on January 1, 2017.
FOR ALL LITERATURE SUBMISSIONS:
- Works of literature should be attached to the email as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf file.
- Submissions should be typed with 12 pt. Times New Roman type.
- Please add a cover letter into the body of the email that includes your first and last name, email address, the title of your work(s), and a brief bio (100 words or less).
- We undergo a "blind" submissions process; personal information should not appear anywhere on the attached document(s).
Fiction and Creative Non-Fiction: We accept all work that is under 10,000 words. Please submit only one piece per submission.
Flash Fiction Guidelines: For fiction that is under 1,000 words, you may submit up to three pieces. Please include all pieces within one document.
Poetry Guidelines: Please submit 1-6 poems within one document.
FOR ALL VISUAL ART SUBMISSIONS:
- Works of visual art should be attached to the email as a .jpg, .jpeg, .gif, .png, or .pdf file. If the work cannot be attached as so, then we cannot accept the submission.
- Please add a cover letter into the body of the email that includes your first and last name, email address, the title of your work(s), and a brief bio (100 words or less). You may include a 1-50 word "artist's statement" about each work included in your submission.
- We undergo a "blind" submissions process; personal information should not appear anywhere on the attached document(s) aside from signatures on the work itself.
- We accept most forms of visual art; this includes, but is not limited to: photography, illustration, animation, sculpture, painting, ceramics, and drawing.
- We understand that some art, such as architecture and crafts, is not as easy to present in a digital format. For these, we request that you submit up to 3 high-resolution photos of your work in the way you would want them to be presented.
- Each artist can submit up to five pieces of visual art for consideration; each piece can include up to 3 high-resolution images of the work if it is not 2-dimensional.
While we are generally responsive, please give us up to 90 days to respond to your submission(s). We are not a paying market at the moment. Thank you for considering The Matador Review.
The Matador Review acquires First North American Serial Rights for the work we publish. All rights revert back to the author upon publication. If your work is later republished, we request you note its initial publication in The Matador Review.
Opinions and other statements expressed by contributors are theirs alone and not opinions of The Matador Review. Content created by any contributor is the sole responsibility of the contributor and its accuracy and completeness are not guaranteed by The Matador Review.